Thursday, March 1, 2012

I learned a lesson.

Notice that Mia is wearing a pink collar in this photo.  Our practice at the kennel is not to use collars on any of our dogs unless we are working them.  The reason for that is that it removes the possibility of a dog accidentally injuring itself or another while at play by getting a tooth or paw caught in their own or another dog's collar.

However we always use a collar of some sort when working with a dog, especially while doing training exercises . . .  or 'school' (as we call it.)  The pink collar in this photo is Mia's 'dress up' necklace.  Her training collar is chain collar with a pink shoe lace thread through it.

The interesting lesson that I learned was that Mia quickly learned that the 'training' collar was for school and the 'dress up' collar was for going someplace or for play.  I found that Mia was a quick learner and performed her school lessons very well.  I also found out that Mia obeyed well in her 'school' mode but not much at all in her 'play' mode.  She had learned that with the different collars I had differing sets of expectations.  I was very frustrated with her until I figured out what was going on in her mind.  I began using random collars for her 'school' sessions and within a week  I was getting much more consistent obedience from her regardless of the setting.

I learned my lesson and Mia's grades went up!

Until next time . . .   Eliot    www.rosehallkennel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment